[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Tue Jan 16 22:04:22 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 10:24 +0000, Dawson Costelloe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're working on a new website for a client, and the question came up
> about which would be the best, or most commonly used screen resolution
> to design for. Some are saying, 1024x768, others 800x600, liquid
> designs came up and lots of other suggestions.
>
> Anyone else been through similar and what did you decide to to?

I've always thought it best to design for the Web, and never for one
particular browsing situation at the expense of others. Also, one should
note that screen resolution doesn't necessarily imply browser window
size; it's quite possible and reasonable to have a 640x480 or less
window on a 1600x1200 screen. Not to mention, there are browsing
situations where window size or screen resolution as we know them don't
really apply.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>