[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 11:49:04 CST 2007

There is the option of using javascript to test for viewport size and
> switching layout stylesheets accordingly, as exemplified by Volkan's
> site www.sarmal.com - and of course, media="handheld"... Beyond this I
> design for minimum size 1024x768.

Since I'm quoted I'd like to announce that due to popular demand
(some from evolters and some from elsewhere) I will put an English
translation of the article soon
(#define "soon" as within two weeks or so)

On the issue of handheld media I agree with Barney, for the time being an
alternate stylesheet
for @media handheld is the most apropriate solution
(since scripting support for mobile terminals is limited at best)

I secretly hope the JavaScript support of (n+1)th generation mobile
terminals will be better :)
The world is already complex as it is.

It all boils down to responsibility and self-judgement at the end.
If you find what you do is fair and sleep well at nights, then go ahead.
If not better re-consider your implementation.

<tip author="Volkan Ozcelik" type="productivity">
Ever heard of the concept of tagging? I bet you do.
Have you ever tried to use tags instead of folders for your files on your

tag2find is an excellent (and free) tool that does that for you:

a detailed blog post on why to use tags for categorizing large number of

"who needs folders anyway"

Volkan Ozcelik
+>Yep! I'm blogging! : http://www.volkanozcelik.com/cre8/blog/
+> Going solo in Turkish: http://www.volkanozcelik.com/donkisot/