[thelist] Screen Resolution, which to design for?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Jan 19 17:22:26 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 15:56 +0000, Barney Carroll wrote:
> And besides, isn't what I loved about the internet in the
> first place the fact that, contrary to Microsoft's dreams,
> people shouldn't have to keep purchasing state of the art
> software and hardware to gain indefinite access to powerful
> and useful content?

Agreed, this is part of the reason for a World Wide Web instead of what
Microsoft would have made in its place.

I don't think technology should be held back, but I still don't believe
in holding sites together with the electronic equivalents of duck tape
(Javascript and Flash, mainly).

(In fairness, Microsoft really just wants you to buy the new version of
Windows every three years, however, in order to use it you have to buy
new PC hardware. The system requirements of most GNU/Linux and
BSD-derived OSes have not increased at nearly the same skyrocketing
pace, and even then, there's always Syllable.)

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>