[thelist] encoding web addresses

Syed Zeeshan Haider szhorums at vfemail.net
Sun Jan 21 23:03:00 CST 2007

I have a simple question as I am trying to mess around with the behaviours
of web browsers and trying to incorporate some of them into my own browsing

How does a web browser encode web addresses?

Many special characters like space character, "%", "&" etc. are encoded by
web browsers in to the characters which are not illegal for web addresses
e.g. space character to "%20". What is the general rule used by web browsers
for this encoding? I am trying to write a little procedure in VB6 which
could identify illegal characters and encode them into web browser
compatible characters and the other way around.

Syed Zeeshan Haider

Learn about famous muslim names at http://szh.20m.com/learn/aboutnames.html