[thelist] Nav bar wacky in IE

ben morrison morrison.ben at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 04:07:02 CST 2007

On 1/25/07, Max Schwanekamp <lists at neptunewebworks.com> wrote:
> Anyone care to help me with my nav menu on this site?
> http://snipurl.com/18cg7
>
> The ul#nav has LI's with the :hover image as background,.  The A's have
> the :link state, with the background image disappearing on :hover.
>
> Looks fine in FF 2 Win, Opera 9 Win, Safari 2.  IE 6 & 7 show parts of
> the A's image on some, nothing on others.  Plus, IE doesn't display my
> submenu at all.  I'm not bothering with doing the IE 5 adjustments until
> it looks right on 6 & 7.

IE 6 does not support :hover pseudo-class on any element apart from an
<a>, so the following will not work in IE

ul#nav li:hover ul.submenu {
left: 0;
}

There are various workarounds and it maybe worth you looking at son of
suckefish to see how they implemented this:

http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

ben
--
Ben Morrison