[thelist] Mysqldump

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 10:35:26 CST 2007

On 1/31/07, Chris Dorer <cdorer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Err, mysql version 3.23.*

I would be scared to use a version that old for anything :-)

The changes to encoding/collation in 4.1 are pretty drastic; at the
very least I would migrate to that version as soon as possible.
That said,

> > Is there any problem in using mysqldump as a creation db script?

> > What if mysql changes it's default db type from myISAM to myRubberDuckie?
> > What if the dump is needed for a different db?

MySQLdump is pretty configurable, and if something really needs to
be changed for another DB, a simple search/replace would probably
do it. But why not just try it?

Install PostgreSQL, Derby, Oracle 10g, DB2 and give it a spin. :-)

FWIW!
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com