[thelist] Newsletter as HTML Email

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Wed Jan 31 11:18:59 CST 2007

Emphasise the RSS feed. The way I use feeds (via Thunderbird, my email
client), RSS feeds are mailing lists plus. In fact with RSS I no longer
see the point in mailing lists.

If you don't have a mail client as good as Thunderbird (the upcoming
Outlook will not support any degree of complex CSS, and will instead try
to propagate a new Microsoft-proprietary Word-based XML language for
'rich' emails), then you can get cleverly tagged XML RSS that will give
you a text equivalent, or just a title and description, before you
follow the link to the actual URL (or not).

With Windows and Apple building RSS-readers into their OSs (it took
Vista's dock for my brother to even acknowledge the existence of RSS),
this is in my eyes a far brighter idea than trying to implement HTML
email, which I consider to be rightfully deceased.

Regards,
Barney