[thelist] Newsletter as HTML Email

Barney Carroll barney at textmatters.com
Thu Feb 1 11:55:12 CST 2007

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> I did. The only "benefit" I see mentioned is to the developer -- not
> having to worry about client email display problems. :-)

I don't know how much you're joking... But then I am a bit obsessive
about everyone getting the same display, which is arguably not at all
essential. Control over appearance is the biggest thing for me, and
admittedly the chief reason for my preferring HTML to be served in
standardised environments. After all, for a designer, what the user sees
is crucial.

But then there's flash tidbits, javascript, and all the other wonderful
things that can make the internet so much more worthwhile and exciting
for Joe Bloggs, which are inherently connected to HTML, and severed by
email clients.

>> We're ultimately on the same side, but we've got different roles to
>> fulfill, which I suspect is why this is turning into one-upmanship. And
>> it's the duty of people like myself to make the internet accessible and
>> idiot-proof. I'll get back to you when we've cracked it!
>
> Please do. :-)

I promise, you're the first name on the email I'll be sending out -
likewise I'll inform you of any set-backs. Hehehe.

Joel D Canfield wrote:
 > When I finally have enough work to have a team instead of being a lone
 > ranger, I sincerely hope I surround myself with smart people who
 > disagree with me, and challenge me when I make dogmatic statements.
 >
 > joel

That's my dream too - I'll call you up when I get sick of this job!
Point worth making. The reason I love this list is because it's full of
professionals from across the spectrum - being able to get insights and
expertise as I've been getting from this thread is utterly invaluable
and keeps me aware and informed of the very things that allow me to stay
on the edge of my job.

Regards,
Barney