[thelist] get filename before the extension (php)

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 15:36:06 CST 2007

Mark Mckee wrote:
> I have now noticed some glaring errors in my code.
>
> a) when i put a " in the data field it returns this in the file \"
>
> b) i cannot get line breaks to work. no matter how many carriage returns
>   there are, i always end up with a load of text jumbled up.

The extra backslash could be solved by using stripslashes(). E.g.:

$sData = 'Something in this \"string\" is wrong...';
$sData = stripslashes($sData);

// $sData should now be 'Something in this "string" is wrong...'

As for the line breaks, that could be a problem with the type of systems
being used. If you're editing your file on Windows, but writing it to
the text file on a Linux server (or vice-versa, or something involving a
Mac along the way), what you're experiencing can happen. For these
situations, PHP comes with a predefined constant that holds the right
format for line breaks. You'll have to split your strings to use it,
though. Example:

Current situation:

$sData = 'The quick brown fox jumped

over

the lazy dog';

New situation:

$sData = 'The quick brown fox jumped' . PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL . 'over' .
PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL . 'the lazy dog';

HTH,
Rick.