[thelist] Images--database or file

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Feb 5 11:07:29 CST 2007

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 12:10:13AM -0500, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> Hi ppl
>
> I've just taken on a website and the previous developer stored images
> in blob fields in a mySQL table.
>
> I'm in the habit of storing them in a directory and just holding a
> file name in the database.

Forget for a minute that it's an image, and instead think it's just
data.  Is it integral to the database structure?  Is it relational and
has foreign keys pointing at it?  What should happen with it's
deleted?

If they are very large images, eh, blocks of data, then ask your
database provider about how well it handles large data.

> Currently the table's 250MB in size and I'm having problems uploading
> that to a new hosting account, so that's one downside of that method.

Are you are saying the images are not integral to the database?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org