[thelist] YouTube and CEO video

Charles Wiltgen cwiltgen at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 13:56:17 CST 2007

> But how do you suggest we make it easy for users to
share
> the video you post at your site?

>From a technical POV I'm working on this with Objecty
<http://wiltgen.net/objecty/>.  Media embedding is too
hard (and IMO works
backwards, based on the player instead of the format),
so I'm fixing this.

>From a marketing POV I'd recommend leveraging
passionate users, and often
they'll take it from there.  For example, if I had an
amazing video of a
table that stopped in a micro-second rather than cut
your fingers off
(http://www.sawstop.com/how-it-works-videos.htm), I'd
submit the coolest
video or two (like the hot dog test) to the MAKE: and
Cool Tools blogs,
among others.

> Do you suggest a Video Gallery? Will you let users
vote
> on and rank and favorite these videos? How?

I'm personally not convinced about the value of
realtime Ratings and
Viewings stats.  People like to think that they've
discovered something (the
Viewings number can devalue this, and then work
against you as the content
gets old but views remain low), and they like to make
up their own minds
about whether something is cool or not (because
coolness is relative to your
tribe, depending on whether your tribe is weekend
woodworkers or celebrity
newshounds, etc.).

If you need those things, one option is to post the
video in a blog entry.
Along with the built-in ability to handle comments,
WordPress and others
have ratings plug-ins (see http://ajaxian.com/ article
ratings as an
example).

I'm sure there are other good ways, and I'll post
links if I run across
them.

-- Charles