[thelist] Email: Newsletter Programs

Steven Streight steven.streight at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 17:29:05 CST 2007

Very thought provoking, but seems trapped in the print and tv broadcast
medium, these rants in favor of pretty pictures.

I'll give you this: immediate visual impact of most anything determines
viewer response and critique. Ugly web site = amateur if not sleazy,
unreliable. Beautiful web site = credible until proven otherwise, like by
the text and links and About and Contact pages, etc.

But does a newsletter, email variety, need graphics to do its job?

I hate plain text newsletters. But I dislike big flashy graphics in them,
too. I am dealing mainly with information newsletters, like on marketing
tips, usability studies, info architecture, etc.

Maybe it's just me, and ppl like me, but an email is not about photos and
art. I need it and use it mainly as text input, Google alerts, Nielsen alert
boxes, memos to colleagues, and usually with no attachments. It's like a
textual telephone, really.

If I want images, I got to the corporate site. Many images, however are
stock photos, generic pictures that have little soul, personality, too "all
things to all ppl", "useful in a variety of situations", and not avant garde
and spontaneous enough, too scripted, anonymous, bland.

Not knocking the stock photo ppl, thank God for them, and for MorgueFile.

But am I the only one who hates gratuitous, overly posed, stock photos in
web sites, smiling nobodies dressed appropriately for yuppie lemmingization,
doing nothing, just smiling and standing or sitting, in a pristine void?

Graphics in newletters seems to carry a wee bit of "let's make it pretty"
and "ppl like pix" and "it must conform to Corporate Style"... it's just
assumed that the newsletter shall have graphics, of course, why not,
everybody's doing it, etc. etc.

I'm learning along with all of us, not preaching, just persisting in a point
of view, as a writer, and book lover and Art Forum print v. subscriber, and
I make all my own digital art for all my blog posts and computer music CDs,
so I am visually oriented and pro art.

;^)