[thelist] OT? Making same modification to large number of files

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 09:23:11 CST 2007

On 2/9/07, Barney Carroll <barney at textmatters.com> wrote:
> NB: I need to do this over an ssh connection, which I imagine is a
> significant hurdle for most apps.

jEdit (Java-based editor) can go recursive global search/replace on
files on a remote system via SSH (or FTP). I can't imagine using any
other editor :-)

However, does the target machine have Perl installed? If so, there's
an edit-in-place flag that allows you to create a simple replacement
script that doesn't involve generating temporary files.

HTH,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com