[thelist] Save me from JavaScript humiliation

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 09:54:06 CST 2007

> > Would you have a better alternative which would inform the punter they are
> > moving to a new window and also not loose their place in the index?

I just don't see the point in this implementation. I could understand
a "this opens in a new window in x seconds" counter with a cancel
link, but not why I should wait 25 seconds to get a popup?
Sorry if my comment sounded too harsh, but it came across as bells and
whistles without much point to them. If you need an indicator that
prevents people from loosing the window, then Ben is right.

> Why not use a graphic icon, or an explanation in brackets or a title:
>
> http://www.sitepoint.com/article/beware-opening-links-new-window

That would be my solution, too, really no need to use a lot of
reciprocal animation and risk memory problems.

Other than that, I'd probably use a security "are you sure" modular
window with a link that tells the user that they would lose the app if
they open the link and offer another link to open it in a new window.
Unsolicited window.open() coming from a timeout will most likely be
blocked by popup blockers.

It is more of an interface/IA issue than a technical problem. Giving
user animation and making them wait is not really helpful.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com