[thelist] OT? Making same modification to large number of files

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Tue Feb 13 15:44:27 CST 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:06 AM, Barney Carroll wrote:

> ben morrison wrote:
>> Most editors will allow you to do a find and replace using different
>> file options - open files/directory/folder etc. Would that work? Make
>> sure you make a backup beforehand.
>
> I'm on OSX. I use BBEdit, and Vim on a terminal. Would you know how to
> go about such an operation in either of those?

BBEdit can search/replace entire sites -- it's under "Find" in the
Search menu.  It's all GUI-run, and understands grep (Regular
Expressions).  The "multi file" options are at the bottom of the
Search dialog -- also note the "Other" and "Options" buttons (for
selecting the files setting options such as filters, respectively).
I use it all the time for this type of thing.

Good luck.

Steve