[thelist] OT? Making same modification to large number of files

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Tue Feb 13 16:12:39 CST 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 4:11 AM, Barney Carroll wrote:

> NB: I need to do this over an ssh connection, which I imagine is a
> significant hurdle for most apps.

I missed this in my previous response:  I don't think BBEdit will do
it over SSH.

BUT... (hang on tightly, we're getting into major Geek territory
here...) there's an interesting open-source project out there called
FUSE, which allows for alternate filesystems.  A bit hard to explain,
but in essence it will allow you (for example) to open an SSH
connection, ***and have that appear as local files using an custom
"SSH FileSystem"***

I think if you use this to connect to the SSH server, you can then
use BBEdit's multi-file capability to do what you want.

<http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/>

Note you want the MacFUSE Core and the sshfs downloads.

Also note that FUSE is Beta, so it could theoretically <egon>cause
your computer to explode inward at the speed of light,
instantaneously ending all life as we know it.</egon>  But, y'know...
probably not.

Steve