[thelist] [JOB] Junior Applications Developers - San Antonio, TX

Jay Blanchard jblanchard at pocket.com
Wed Feb 14 11:37:19 CST 2007

[snip]
> The real bottom line is what a person is worth, so I base salary on
> experience, aptitude, and knowledge.

Of which you are no doubt willing to accept only a subset of the full
range... and that range no doubt maps to a salary range.

A marginally experienced job seeker would be able to estimate this
salary range based on the description:

"I have an urgent need for two intermediate PHP developers (1.5 - 2
years), no degree required"

So, I don't see what the problem is...
[/snip]

I know that I am funny about these kinds of things, it may be because I
am old school, it may be because it is how I have always had things
presented to me as a candidate for a job position, but salary (even if
there is a range in mind) typically doesn't get mentioned until the end
of the first interview or during the second interview. Maybe my thinking
is screwed up on this in this day and age, but I do not think so. When I
have posted these things before I get people with a wide range of
experience, knowledge and aptitude that may cause me to alter my
thinking where salary range and requirements are concerned regardless of
the requirements (I have an urgent need for two intermediate PHP
developers (1.5 - 2 years), no degree required). I suppose that I can
eliminate candidates based on their lack of desire to respond to a
potential salary range based on requirements, but I may be losing the
perfect candidates because they do not understand that I am very
flexible with regards to these things. Does that make sense? In other
words, I post with the salary range as indicated which may keep a very
desirable candidate from responding who requires salary above that range
(due to the fact that they have more experience, etc. etc.). Who loses
then? Me, because I could have gotten a better candidate? An outstanding
candidate because my range doesn't fit them? The answer is D.) All of
the above.