[thelist] [JOB] Junior Applications Developers - San Antonio, TX

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 12:24:30 CST 2007

"Christian Heilmann" <codepo8 at gmail.com> rwote:
> I've hired about 8 people last year and went through about 50 CVs.
> None of the people we took on asked about the money or felt the need
> to as it is a common courtesy to pay what people are worth.

While I'm glad that's been your experience, and I hope it's that of
others, I've not found this to be consistently the case.  While I was
in the job market last year, I found that the six offers I received
ranged widely in base compensation: the high salary offer was 20.5%
greater than the low.  What's more: also attached to that high salary
was an additional 15% yearly personal and company performance bonus.
I don't think the low-end of the delta was due to a lack of courtesy
on the part of the hirers: they apologized that they couldn't pay
more.  But they maintained throughout the interview process that their
pay scale was "competitive", and I didn't find until the very end that
it wasn't really close.

I have to admit that, while it was nice to receive so many offers, the
collective experience of interviewing and receiving offers didn't gain
me a concrete understanding of what my skill set is "worth"; much of
that seems to rely on external factors beyond my control.