[thelist] [JOB] Junior Applications Developers - San Antonio, TX

Austin Harris austin at dotmail.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 16:11:56 CST 2007

> I've hired about 8 people last year and went through about 50 CVs.
> None of the people we took on asked about the money or felt the need
> to as it is a common courtesy to pay what people are worth.

Hiring 8 out of 50 CVs seems like a good "hit rate" to me.

I have to agree about Yahoo being slightly different though, I would have thought that most discerning front end developers would love to work there and not be to worried about the dosh. (Also you know that they are only going to hiring top the range people and will pay accordingly.)

> You are right though about badly worded job specs. There is also a
> really large need to clean up
> CVs:http://wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=379

I have found it really difficult to write a good CV, it's hard to get any idea from recruitment agents what makes a good CV, (let alone see an example!)

Luckily I have only had to deal with them rarely, most placings I have had as a contracter I have returned to after being asked for by name. Which is nice :)

A tip I picked up from an IT recruitment agent neighbour, (lucky me ;) was that the CV search engine they use picks up how many times a phrase is used and ranks it correspondingly. He suggested mentioning the specifics after each role / contract. Repetitive, but gets you on the front page! (SEOCV???)

Not sure that I agree with it but such is life...

> Ah, we still need some more, by the way. So if you want to work in
> London or Paris as a web developer:
> http://wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=378

I would love to but as I have just bought the book linked to below you can probably guess that my javascript is not yet up to speed :(

> Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com

Next year maybe... Austin