[thelist] Ajax CMS examples

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Feb 18 11:48:52 CST 2007

I'm on vacation doing a good job of not thinking about work.  Just
thinking about the next project.

I'm looking for some UI suggestions or examples.

I'm going to work on a very simple website used by a few dozen people
that has easy to update content.  Basically, wiki-like where pages can
be updated in situ.[1]  Ajax in-place editing is the plan.

I don't want to use a WYSIWYG editor (e.g. TinyMCE), rather I want to
train the few users to edit HTML directly.  I want the users to learn
to write content and structure and not focus on layout.  It's not that
hard to learn simple html.

- Text editing in text areas kind of stinks.  Are there any javascript
tools (not WYSIWYG) that makes  editing in text areas better?

- I'd like to be able to edit individual parts of a page
(paragraphs?) to make the text areas more manageable.  But, that makes
it harder to copy-n-paste between sections.  What would you suggest
for how much text to edit at one time in a text area?

- I'm not clear how to update individual parts of a page in the
database.  If I use ajax to update, say, a paragraph would the page be
made up of multiple rows in a table, or would it be better to parse
the page's DOM and replace the paragraph (so a page's content is just
one row in a table)?

Again, just looking for general suggestions and examples of good "Web
2.0" style content editing.

Thanks,

[1] Yes, I do want to reinvent the wheel.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org