[thelist] best html & css sites

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 02:13:19 CST 2007

On 2/19/07, josh earl <joshua.earl at gmail.com> wrote:
> when I'm teaching CSS based design - I usually send my students to
> www.csszengarden.com - just to demonstrate the content v presentation
> issue that CSS handles so well.

This used to be a splendid web site, but by now it is a demonstration
of how many image replacements you can put in a single CSS file. Most
new examples break when you resize the document, and images even have
other copy than the HTML, which is exactly not what we should use CSS
for. Zengarden also advertises CSS as this magical bullet that makes
your site accessible and pretty. Bruce Lawson proved it does not need
to:
http://csszengarden.com/?cssfile=http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/zen/sample.css

IMHO the question is wrong. The content you want to offer makes what
look and feel you choose, not "how pretty" the site is. Compliance is
a means to an end to make maintenance easy and have predictable
outcome, nothing more.

Personally I consider http://www.digital-web.com one of the prettiest
and cleverest sites around.

I was appalled to see that in this year's SWSW in the category "best
use of CSS" you have an architect's bureau web site that weighs in
550k on the homepage and breaks when you resize the font one step.

If you want other inspiration, check del.icio.us or use the
inspiration dropdown on http://www.dontmeetyourheroes.com/v_2/

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com