[thelist] webmasters acting as sysadmins

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Wed Feb 21 10:04:40 CST 2007

I think what frequently gets obscured in these discussions is the
philosophy of sticking within your skillset and passions.  Certainly
there are many folks out there who excel at a variety of skillsets and
are up to changing directions at a moment's notice.

Perhaps a job description is in order here, but in my case I dabble in
S/A tasks - what I will do in my little ole office cubby is not
something I want to do for clients.  Too much risk, not my passion and
far too time-consuming.  I think it's important in this line of work
that we draw boundaries and that we have adequate understanding of the
technology to know where to go (where to refer clients) for expertise,
for problem resolution.  In that sense part of the service offered is
being a 'tweener'. -Bob