[thelist] "Web 2.0 sites with the big friendly fonts"

Charles Wiltgen cwiltgen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 16:31:23 CST 2007

> This is a symptom of a less literate society,
unfortunately.

And yet nearly all of my network communications with
other people are
text-based.  Email, IM, SMS...   :^)

> The very first sentence on the page said something
along the lines of
"Welcome to FooCorp, we make X type of widgets." I
knew *exactly* what that
company did because I actually read the page, and I
told him this.

People are "stupid".  They're stupid-busy.  They're
stupid-hungry, because
they had to run to the bank over lunch.  They're
stupid-preoccupied with how
they're going handle putting their mother in a home.
They're stupid-worried
about a lot of stuff.  They're stupid-human.

If they're not getting it, I blame myself.  I can have
the most beautiful
and readable typography on the web, but if the copy
doesn't work it might as
well be in 7pt type.

I've designed typefaces professionally, so typography
is incredibly
important to me, but it's just one ingredient in the
stew.

-- Charles