[thelist] Generating PDF files

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Wed Feb 21 17:21:05 CST 2007

On Wednesday 21 February 2007 15:04, Santilal Parbhu wrote:
> I am developing an application that creates a sports draw and results
> table. The draw depends on the number of teams entered which is unknown
> until after the teams have all entered.  Currently, the draw is served as a
> html file, which is rendered in the user's browser.  What I want to be able
> to do is to create a pdf file which people can download.  My reason for
> this is so that I can have greater control over what the final printed out
> version looks like.
>
> Can anyone help.

Lots of people on this list can help, especially if you help us a bit by
telling us what server technology you prefer (IIS, Apache, Sun etc.) and what
language you prefer to code with (ASP, PHP,Python etc.).

And what you have already found or tried would help immensely, it's a real
guess otherwise and no one wants to spend time on something that may be
totally unrelated to your situation.

For instance, a quick Google on the evolt.org site brings up conversations
about just such a thing going back to at least 2001:

<http://www.google.ca/search?num=30&hl=en&safe=off&q=generating+pdf+on+the+server+site%3Aevolt.org&btnG=Search&meta=>

Let's assume you have an Apache server you can add a library to, if it's not
already there. PDFLib:

<http://uk.php.net/manual/en/faq.using.php#faq.using.freepdf>

--
cheers,