[thelist] Multiple Sites on the Same Server

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Thu Feb 22 09:57:58 CST 2007

On Thursday 22 February 2007 05:17, Randal Rust wrote:
> I have a real estate client that has registered about 15 domain names
> that with industry-related names. The only purpose of these sites
> would be to provide a list of links to all of the sites within their
> network of sites:
>
> 1. The main site for the agency
> 2. One blog for each of the principles (2 sites)
> 3. Another one-page site that allows people to request a report
>
> The only site that exists at this point is the main one for the
> agency. So all of these sites would be hosted on one server. What kind
> of problems might that cause from a search engine standpoint, since
> they will all be on the same IP address?
>
> I have reseller account with a hosting company, and it is a shared
> environment.

<http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/02/07/03/1352239.shtml>
quote from a Google engineer:
"Google handles virtually hosted domains and their links just the same as
domains on unique IP addresses. If your ISP does virtual hosting correctly,
you'll never see a difference between the two cases. We do see a small
percentage of ISPs every month that misconfigure their virtual hosting, which
might account for this persistent misperception"

How I found the article:
<http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=google+multiple+sites+on+same+IP&btnG=Google+Search&meta=>

Short answer: depends on the content, not the IP.
--
cheers,

        mark