[thelist] [OT] Describing role of individual developer operating as a company

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 16:50:06 CST 2007

On 2/26/07, Vijay Immanuel <codelad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Where I live (India), we have what is known as a sole proprietorship
> concern, where individuals operate on their own (in my understanding -
> and I've never met a lawyer in my life). Obviously, its less credible
> than a company with many people, but its a company nevertheless. So
> why call myself a freelancer when I have a right to claim myself as a
> company. For one thing, it sounds better. Or so I feel.

I see three options:
1) Call yourself a freelancer
2) Call yourself a company and do what you can to avoid coming off as
the only person in the company
3) Call yourself a company, make clear that you are the only employee,
and mention how you leverage subcontractors as necessary

I would suggest 3. If you don't like that, I would suggest 1. I think
option 2, which you seem most interested in doing, is the least
desirable and effective choice for your situation.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA