[thelist] pdfs on web site (was "scope of work" for web site proposal)

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Tue Feb 27 14:47:59 CST 2007

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 12:29, Steven Streight wrote:
> <big snip>
> Most web users expect to interact with text, like copy and paste it, to
> refactor it, or to point their audience to, like their blog readers for
> example. You cannot point or link to a specific part of a PDF in the
> web-normed manner.

A majority of the people I've seen "on the web" and presented with an article
they want to "keep", don't have a clue about cut and paste or bookmarking it
either, but they'll look for a symbol that looks like a printer for a long
time.

A majority of the people I've seen on the web and presented with a page that
has a link to a PDF article, click on the link and read it, nothing more
needed. IOW - without having clue that the Acrobat Reader came with the PC,
or that the pdf extension is mapped to open that application.

Then they don't do a Ctrl P to print it, or right click and save, they look
for that printer icon again and print it out "for later".
--
cheers,

        mark