[thelist] using PayPal for event registration

Mark Groen evolt at markgroen.com
Mon Mar 5 20:10:54 CST 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 11:58, Meredith Tupper wrote:
> Looking for some suggestions for PayPal coding or a free/inexpensive
> cart that works with PayPal for event registration.  My client is
> offering twelve weekend workshops over the summer.  She wants to
> offer the option to choose a second weekend if the first choice is
> already booked.

That would be a perfect place for an AJAX form nice-ness query, haven't used
AJAX much myself, someone correct me if I'm wrong please ;-)

> She wants to offer the option to put down a deposit
> or pay in full, and she wants to offer the option of a private room
> at additional cost.
>
> So here are the variables:
> - first choice of date
> - second choice of date
> - deposit
> - full payment
> - private room optional
>
> As I understand it, the PayPal cart by itself can't handle options
> that increase cost, and it can only handle a maximum of 10 option
> values, so I can't use it for the 12 workshop dates.  Or am I wrong?

You only need one Paypal button, but the values passed to it must be figured
out in advance with what ever scripting language you are familiar with.

> I want to collect all the information in one shot, and I don't want
> a forest of PayPal buttons with limited options for each

one button only needed, see above...

> -- I want
> to keep it simple.  Is it possible to code all this into one PayPal
> transaction?  If not, can anyone recommend a good cart that is
> simple and suitable for event registration, and works with PayPal?

A Google may bring something up that's free or inexpensive. Without going too
far as to violate the list rules of no $ talk, would think a custom script
written for you would be in the 2 or 3 hundred range, in other words it would
take a few hours of work and perhaps that may not be what your client would
call "inexpensive" so some hours spent by you with Google may be worth it,
ymmv.
--
cheers,

        mark