[thelist] Problem controlling parent window from child (Javascript)

Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) peter at easylistbox.com
Tue Mar 6 10:02:56 CST 2007

		   A floating iframe was my first thought, too.

   However, if you don't mind doing a little exploration, you might see if the following would work:  open an extra popup window, about 100x100 (I think this is the smallest you can make it), or try setting its coordinates offscreen.  Then, from this window, continually assign (with a 1-second loop or something like that) the child's opener property, as well as perhaps the parent's global variable that pertains to the child window.
   I don't know if this will work, but it's certainly worth a try if you really want separate windows.  Shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes or so to get a proof of concept.

Cheers,

Peter

				From: "Matt Warden" mwarden at gmail.com

On 3/6/07, Robert Douglas wrote:
> using Javascript but the window.opener object seems to disappear from
> child after the first page.
>
> 2 questions, I guess:
> 1. Is this expected behaviour?

Yes.

> 2. If so, is there a way around it?

Use a frameset for the pop-up window.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA

* * Please support the community that supports you. * *
http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/