[thelist] Odd JavaScript Warning

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 08:15:32 CST 2007

On 3/7/07, Jay Blanchard <jblanchard at pocket.com> wrote:
> function showProcessing() {
>   document.all.content.style.visibility='hidden';
>   document.all.processing.style.visibility='visible';
> }
>
> It is definitely not null. It is called here;
>
> <form name="addNoteForm" method="post"
> action="/do/start/contract/addNote?method=post"
> onsubmit="javascript:showProcessing()">

> without this application do not show the warning. After over 12 hours of
> looking at the problem I am somewhat convinced that something in the
> registry was muddled with by the installation of the new application. I
> have sought answers from both vendors, and they are both scratching
> their heads at the moment.

Well, since it seems like a weird bug, I guess shots-in-the-dark are
acceptable. So. even though I have no idea why this would cause the
warning you are seeing, I'll point out an error here:

onsubmit="javascript:showProcessing()"

There should be no "javascript:" here.

The only other thing I can suggest is to alert
document.all.content.style and its type to perhaps see what's going
on. If you have firefox with firebug, that might help as well, unless
the warning is due to some bug in IE.

If that doesn't work, let me know, and we can keep throwing ideas at
the wall to see what sticks.

--
Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA