[thelist] feedback: upload image or link to

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Wed Mar 7 18:45:52 CST 2007

I'm setting up a custom blog/story site.  Folks will have the ability to
submit content, of course, but also incorporate images. I am wondering
whether tis smarter to set it up for contributers to link to images or
have them upload images to a dedicated folder.

Uploading gives much more control, size in KB and dimensions, but of
course also means possibly more maintenance.  Another plus is not having
to be concerned whether the network to the image is up/not.  Another
possible issue is having to allow for multiple image uploads and giving
them a form to browse 'their' images.

With the content textarea I'm bantying around whether to give access to
a JavaScript htmlarea or a home grown text area with a function for
converting carriage returns to line breaks and possibly a markup
function drawing in their images without having to know html or other.
In my mind, although htmlarea is a little more dummy-proof, it also
makes it far easier to break the general look/feel as well as being much
slower.

Feedback on the image options and textarea appreciated.

Oh, I'm probably going to have to set up a function to ban folks (IP
addresses I guess) from being able to submit content if they break the
site policies.  I'm guessing that will involve some javascript to get
the address and perhaps even a script to check/make sure that javascript
is enabled to test.  Tutorials welcome.

-Bob