[thelist] Flash Required

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Fri Mar 9 15:12:04 CST 2007

Bill Moseley wrote:
> Is Flash something that should be considered universal at this point?
> Do new PCs and Macs come with Flash installed or is it still a
> user-download?  I'm asking about a general Internet web site, not
> something for an intranet.

Most businesses consider Flash both universal, and cheaper to develop
and support than other approaches, for comparable goals.

Microsoft Vista does not include Adobe Flash Player, but that's probably
for the best... it would be an older version. Apple and WinXP both
include Flash capabilities:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/partners/

The adoption rate is much faster for Adobe Flash Player than for any
browser, much less operating system... in less than six months Player 9
went from introduction to over 50% consumer viewability:
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/version_penetration.html

You might have a particularly strange audience, but if their browsers
don't already have Adobe Flash Player 9 installed today, then they will
soon -- the ecology of mainstream sites pulls it along by now.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd