[thelist] Day 2 of the F2E Summit. My "CSS vs. JS" presentation

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Sat Mar 10 14:44:37 CST 2007

Christian Heilmann wrote:
> http://www.wait-till-i.com/index.php?p=408
>
> This was the teaser:
> One of the big discussion topics right now is where CSS ends and
> JavaScript begins. "CSS only" menus advertise themselves as being more
> accessible and cleaner than JavaScript solutions whereas a lot of pure
> JavaScript solutions are hard to style. This short course introduces
> you to ways of how CSS can benefit from JS and vice versa. It's not a
> battle – it is a matter of mutualism.
>
> enjoy,
> Chris

I use a "pure CSS" menu on my work site, e.g.:

http://bankofcanada.ca/en/financial/financial_system.html (horizontal
nav bars)

The one thing I find irritating about it is the absence on any "timing",
as Javascript offers -- when the cursor passes over a link, the menu
drops down immediately, period.

But that may be just my hang-up. I've had about 20,000,000 page visits
since adding that CSS drop down menu, and so far not a single user has
complained about its, er, over-eager behaviour.

But I'd still be happy to add a small snippet of Javascript what
prevented the CSS menus from dropping down quite so quickly... even a
1/4 second delay would be nice.

--
Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario