[thelist] Attaining reliable MAC Address using javascript

jason.handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 12:58:16 CDT 2007

Hi Chris,

I think the chances of getting a user's MAC address, using client-side
script, without them having to be prompted in some way, are pretty
remote for the reasons that others have suggested.

> mac addresses are a way to uniquely identify a computer (not using ip
> addresses) that have been brought up in a recent meeting.
> This is a need for a client I'm working with.

If you just need to uniquely identify a PC, why not use Javascript to
generate some form of GUID on the user's PC and store it in a cookie?

Of course if they have cookies switched off, or delete the cookie, or
modify it, it won't work -- but then people can change / spoof their MAC
addresses too, if they really want to...