[thelist] Gallery -- not for looks... suggestions?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Mar 17 11:16:43 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:12:42PM -0700, Micky Hulse wrote:
> I have a ka-zillion images that I need to get up on the net... for
> personal usage between me and my client.
> Any suggestions for a script and/or app that will generate "web2.0" code
> (i.e. contemporary/clean/lean) and also have the ability to easily
> update later (add images later, sans re-batch)?
> /I need nothing pretty/, just functional.

I'm not sure how to interpret "web2.0" and "just functional" together.

How low tech do you need?  Obviously, the easiest is to dump all the
images into a directory (or directory tree) and then create thumbnails
for the index.html.  I'd use ImageMagick to generate the tumbnails:

I'd probably use a perl script and a cron job to look for new
additions ever so often and regenerate the index.html pages.

Of course http://gallery.menalto.com/ is probably equally as easy to
setup and provides extra features.

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org