[thelist] JAVA - call to super must be first statement in constructor error - but it is!

jason h jayuk_1 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 19 11:52:21 CDT 2007

I'm getting the error "call to super must be first statement in constructor"
which is a bit random as it is the first statement in the constructor.. i
can't figure it, hope someone can help. some of my code:

// Fig. 18.5: Client.java

// Client that reads and displays information sent from a Server.

import java.io.*;

import java.net.*;

import java.awt.*;

import java.awt.event.*;

import javax.swing.*;

public class Client extends JFrame {

   private JTextField enterField;

   private JTextArea displayArea;

   private ObjectOutputStream output;

   private ObjectInputStream input;

   private String message = "";

   private String chatServer;

   private Socket client;
   private String tempArray[];
   private EmployeeGUI userInterface;

   private JButton saveRecordButton, saveFileButton, nextRecordButton,
loadButton, exitButton;
   private int tempArrayCount = 0;

  // set up GUI

   public void createEmployee()

	super( "Creating a Sequential File of employees" ); //<--##**

      // create instance of reusable user interface

      userInterface = new EmployeeGUI( 5 );  // five textfields

      getContentPane().add( userInterface, BorderLayout.CENTER );

and the main method (if that helps):

public static void main( String args[] )

      Client application;

      if ( args.length == 0 )

         application = new Client( "" );

         application = new Client( args[ 0 ] );

      application.setDefaultCloseOperation( JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE );

      new createEmployee();