[thelist] JavaScript on the desktop: Apollo samples

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Fri Mar 23 14:49:40 CDT 2007

Hi, if you've got some time this week then I think you may find the
following interesting and useful... it's a way to use your existing
HTML/JS/CSS skills to make full desktop applications which run on both
Mac and Win.

Adobe Apollo entered early-stage public release this week:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo

The "Fresh" example shows how to create a standalone RSS reader
application entirely from HTML, JavaScript and CSS, and the "Scout"
example is a DOM inspector and JavaScript object-tree inspector:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo:Applications:Samples

Mike Chambers has more background on "Fresh":
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/mesh/archives/2007/03/fresh_apollo_ht.html

What is Apollo? The FAQ has this info and more:
    "Apollo is the code name for a cross-operating system runtime being
developed by Adobe that allows developers to leverage their existing web
development skills (Flash, Flex, HTML, JavaScript, Ajax) to build and
deploy rich Internet applications (RIAs) to the desktop."
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo:DeveloperFAQ

Bottom line: Your existing JavaScript skills can also be used
beyond-the-browser, to create persistent desktop applications. Not every
project will require offline abilities or local file access, but your
current skillset has suddenly expanded its reach.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd