[thelist] Google Adsense, Flash, dhtml menus, Iframes, Oh my!

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Fri Mar 23 19:20:49 CDT 2007

Micky Hulse wrote:
> Normally, if one has control over the Flash content, one can use a wmode
> of opaque or transparent. But, because Google Adsense does not allow
> control over the Flash content (or the iFrame)... and because Google
> Adsense uses an iFrame... What can one do to fix this problem?

Most browsers are pretty good these days at offering plugins transparent
backgrounds or interlayering with HTML elements via the WMODE parameter,
but it's hard to trigger that if you can't access the HTML yourself, I
agree.

(Inside an IFRAME adds another layer of browser dependencies... a few
years ago there was one browser which would balk at WMODE if the plugin
was in an IFRAME, but I haven't heard people complaining about that
symptom for two, three years now... probably fixed across the range of
browsers by this point.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Google AdSense prevented people from hiding
their ads, as a scamming defense. But whatever the reason, if you don't
have access to that chunk of HTML, then it's hard to request that your
HTML layer atop their framed SWF... I can't readily think of a way to
achieve it, sorry.

(Maybe the page can display GIF/TEXT ads instead, which are rendered
entirely by the browser's drawing engine...?)

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd