[thelist] File delivery system?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sat Mar 24 19:24:17 CDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 17:18 +0000, kasimir-k wrote:
> It actually is. For example if I'm selling large files, there's the
> bandwidth cost. And if somebody wanted to redistribute the purchased
> file, it would be a lot easier for them to send the link to others, than
> sending the file itself.

If they want to copy it, they will, and there's really no stopping it. I
can understand making the link one use only, though even this has the
potential to cause almost as many problems as it solves.

> Of course this is no help against professional pirates, but for average
> consumer it significantly reduces the temptation to share the file.

Please don't use the term "pirate" to refer to one who makes copies in
violation of copyright law and/or the author's intent or wishes.
Unauthorized copying is in no way comparable to robberies and murders on
the high seas.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>