[thelist] java servlet question

Mattias Thorslund mattias at thorslund.us
Tue Mar 27 13:25:22 CDT 2007

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On 3/27/07, Bruce Gilbert <webguync at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am attempting some tutorials from a book I bouth called 'Foundations
>> of Ajax', and the exercises that involve a java servlet are not
>> working. These are files ending in .java that are called from the html
>> file with JS/CSS etc. My question I guess is does the .java servlet
>> file need to live in a certain directory on the server or is there any
>> special installation on the server end to get this to work? The server
>> is remote, so I don't have direct access to it, but I do know it's an
>> apache server.
> The Apache httpd server doesn't support servlets.
> You would be better off to install a local copy of Tomcat (get it from
> tomcat.apache.org) and work from there.
> And a servlet's source (.java) file needs to be compiled into a .class
> file, put in a specific place, mapped in the webapp's deployment
> descriptor -- there's a bit to it. I'd try to google up some introductory
> servlet tutorial, for starters. Alternatively, you may be able to figure
> it out from the examples that come with Tomcat.
> HTH,

I can't help to think that that's quite a log to go thorough just for
the purpose of learning AJAX. AJAX itself is a client technique and not
dependent on any particular server technology. This book seems to be
helpful mostly to people who happen to run a Java server, or folks who
can easily rewrite the examples into whatever they need (not necessarily

Bruce, you might be better off returning your book and finding one that
uses a server-side platform that is available to you. There must be
boatloads of AJAX books, and surely there is one where the server-side
examples are PHP or something else that you can easily run on your
Apache server.