[thelist] Career Help

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 09:28:22 CDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Donna Jones <donnajjones at gwi.net> wrote:

> ah .... you reminded me of what i have to say about courses.  I, too,
> think local courses are really really bad

I'm curious -- what kind of "local courses" are you referring to?

In the US at least, community colleges may offer evening classes
in technical subjects, and the fees are, in my experience, quite
reasonable. (My experience with them is limited to California and
Hawaii, though, so YMMV.)

For someone just getting into programming, an introductory course
or two might provide a good foundation. You don't need a CS degree
to program, but some understanding of theory makes it easier :-)

Also, if you're using a commercial product, the vendor may offer
classes. I just took a free three-hour 'Introduction to Flex' class from
Adobe. I had worked with Flex before, but getting a perspective on
using the tools from someone with extensive experience with them
was interesting.

As in Perl, TMTOWTDI -- There's More Than One Way To Do It  :-)

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com