[thelist] selling ebooks

Conyers, Dwayne dwayne.conyers at hp.com
Thu Apr 5 19:53:06 CDT 2007

Sbeam ink wired:

> When selling an Adobe ebook (or the MS or Palm ones
> for that matter) using the DRM feature <shudder> -
> how does the reader software on the customer's
> computer know that they are allowed to read what
> they have downloaded?

I remember doing a search on an e-book that I heard about and was
considering purchasing.

Not only did I find the book I was looking for... I found a site that
had a tool to crack the encryption on the book... another site that had
a cracked version of the book (for free download)... YIKES!

Bottom line... anything electronic can be accessed.  The only benefit of
locks (like DRM) is that they keep honest people honest.

--
I made magic once.  Now, the sofa is gone.
http://dwacon.blogspot.com