[thelist] selling ebooks

sbeam sbeam at syxyz.net
Fri Apr 6 17:54:56 CDT 2007

On Friday 06 April 2007, Conyers, Dwayne wrote:
> It goes back to those who wanted to protect their images from being
> stolen from the web, so they used a program to slice it into squares
and
> arranged the squares into a table so no one could right-click and
> download.  Instead, they just did a screen capture.

Actually - along those lines - is there anything preventing you from
taking a bunch of screenshots of an ebook and running though an OCR
program to extract the text? You could even automate the process...

I've never used an ebook (give me a good hefty chunk of dead tree any
day) but surely they can't stop you from taking screen shots. And if
they could, a little time with VNC or VMWare would get around that.

Not that I would advocate any such thing. But just out of curiousity...