[thelist] WinXP, IE7 and CSS

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Mon Apr 9 15:40:48 CDT 2007

On Apr 7, 2007, at 3:06 PM, Mark Groen wrote:

> Appears that Internet Explorer 6 and 7 has some oddness to watch
> for, and it
> may change how some people do their CSS layouts.
>
> If the default text size is not default, View > Text Size > Smaller
> for
> example is set, both versions will apply a smaller value to
> *anything* that
> has been specified in ems, not just text and not uniformly. A div
> that is set
> 24ems wide will be smaller than what you would expect it to be, and
> most
> likely your nice CSS layout will be messy.

Well... doesn't that make sense?  If em sizing is based on font size,
then it should be based on font size.  So, if the browser is set to
show fonts smaller, ems should shrink right along with them.

I'm not a big fan of IE, but I wouldn't hold that one against them.
Perfectly logical.

Now, the words "not uniformly" are a whole different can o' worms....

If I want something at a specific size, I use pixels.  Ems are, to
me, flexible by definition.

Stephen Rider