[thelist] zindex problem

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:17:33 CDT 2007

On 4/12/07, Lee Kowalkowski <lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 12/04/07, Matt Warden <mwarden at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok, I'm relatively confident that this is very close to the resulting
> > markup in that state:
> >
> > http://mwarden.f2o.org/staticversion/staticversion.htm
> The TACControlContainer class is positioned, and therefore creates its
> own stacking context, therefore subsequent TACControlContainer
> elements will always overlap previous ones unless these elements are
> also given specific z-indices.
> Ben's proposition about removing position:relative from the class is
> as good suggestion as any.  From a functional point of view you only
> need to specify a z-index > 0 at the time when the dropdown is to be
> displayed, and remove it again when it is hidden.  Should work a
> treat.

Lee and Ben,

My many thanks for your help. I have it working now by removing all
the z-index declarations in the stylesheet and programmatically
turning on a z-index > 0 for the entire container div only when the
control is about to be expanded, and removing the z-index declaration
when the control loses focus.

Thanks for sharing your positioning expertise.

Matt Warden
Cleveland, OH, USA