[thelist] Downloadable Mac files -- .ZIP or .SIT?

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Fri Apr 13 16:06:10 CDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Clive R Sweeney wrote:
> I've prepared a Mac version of a screensaver and there seems to be
> some
> question of which compression format to use. It's been quite a while
> since I owned a Mac and so I'm not too current. Should the screensaver
> be compressed as a .ZIP or a .SIT file?

Assuming this is an OS X screensaver, your best bet is probably
actually a compressed disk image, with the extension ".dmg"

These are the easiest to work with and the default format for
software distribution on OS X.  (Among many others, Apple themselves
distribute software this way)

Barring that, stick with .zip files.  Anyone with OS X should be able
to handle those, while not everyone can handle .sit files.

Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/