[thelist] Downloadable Mac files -- .ZIP or .SIT?

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 07:57:47 CDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 4:04 PM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 18:52 +0100, Conyers, Dwayne wrote:
>> I would recommend all of the above.  When creating archives for PC
>> users, ZIP is default
>
> For *Windows* users, Zip is default.

Also for OS X users, as that is what "Create Archive" will use.

.sit(x) files are only something you need to think about when
supporting Mac versions less than "OS X"

Zip support is built into OS X and it much easier to deal with
than .sit(x) files.

.dmg is another nice choice, as mentioned, but make sure that your
website is setup to send it as the right type ("Content-type:
application/x-macbinary" I believe) or at least won't send it as text!