[thelist] [OT] - I'm not a flash fan, bu tI've fallen in love with this...

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Fri Apr 20 13:33:31 CDT 2007

Ben Morrison wrote:
> On 4/20/07, Ben Joyce <ben.joyce at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Excuse my ignorance (and I appreciate I may be a fool) but when I
> > google for "gourmetoriental" this site shows up at the first link - am
> > I missing something?
>
> This is not how people would search though - unless they knew the name
> of the restaurant.
> People would be more likely to search for 'chinese restaurant' or
> 'thai food delivery W1' (W1 being the start of a london postcode).

That's true. Getting onto the first page of search results for the term "chinese restaurant" would be difficult.

It would also be difficult to find an appropriate restaurant using that search term, on a websearch engine like Google.

But I'm not sure the website for a local restaurant would need to prioritize inbound links for pagerank and prominence on common searches, so much as to get into the directories and restaurant-specific search engines, where people do location-restricted searching.

In similar vein, it seems very difficult to get useful websearch referrals on terms like "mu shu pork", so the menu itself might as well be a JPEG as text.

You've got to get found on the appropriate terms at the appropriate engines your customers actually use when they're trying to find a business like yours. Inbound links -- your connections within the World Wide Web -- matter as much as your TITLE and other metadata, and far more than every last little squidgin of bodytext. You want to get found, on the appropriate terms, at the appropriate services.

jd/adobe