[thelist] phpBB customization

Ricky Zhou ricky.zhou at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 19:30:18 CDT 2007

Meredith Tupper wrote:
> I'm looking at customizing a phpBB installation -- choosing a theme
> and adding some mods -- and I'm worried that it looks deceptively
> easy.  Does anyone have any advice or warnings of pitfalls before I
> commence such a project?
I'm not sure about mods, etc, but I have a suggestion about theming:
Looking at phpBB's markup, it doesn't look like the most pleasant job to
change.  If you're not locked in yet, I'd highly recommend PunBB
(http://www.punbb.org/), which has much more semantic/cleaner markup
(yes, they appropriately use a table for the forum index)!  For me, it's
been extremely easy to theme.  You can see some of their markup at

Hope this helps,