[thelist] Question on hosts file and LAN

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Thu May 10 12:56:34 CDT 2007

Hi John,

>    After finally getting my local PHP installation to work
> with multiple
> local development host names through the Windows hosts file, I've got
> one more lingering problem. I've got all this installed on the same
> laptop I use for my full-time corporate job. (Actually, on a VMWare
> virtual machine, but I also had the problem on the base
> machine before I
> started using the VM, so I don't think that's the problem.) When I'm
> just connected to the Internet at home, without being connected to my
> company LAN, it works fine. When I'm at work connected to the
> LAN, or at
> home connected through the VPN to the company LAN, it seems that the
> hosts file is not used. If I try to go to one of those local
> names under
> those conditions, I get an error that the name cannot be resolved. At
> home, if I once more disconnect the VPN (on the base
> machine), then the
> hosts names once again resolve correctly (in the virtual machine).

I don't know if this helps at all...

If you're using the built-in VPN client in Windows, try this.
Right-click the icon for your VPN network connection (in the Network
Connections folder) and choose Properties. Go to the Networking tab,
select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list, and click
"Properties". Click the "Advanced..." button. On the General tab, untick
the box that says "Use default gateway on remote network".

This solved all sorts of problems for me when I figured it out!

Jason